The City of Waconia is now accepting applications for registration of special vehicles.
Certain special vehicles will be permitted on City streets beginning April 1 with a permit.Applications are available at City Hall or can be found here. You must come into City Hall to receive a permit for your special vehicle.
On February 1, 2021 the City Council adopted Ordinance No. 737 regarding Special Vehicles (PDF). To ensure compliance, please review the ordinance in its entirety and the following details below. Please note, below is just an overview of the ordinance, but you must read the full ordinance for context.
- The ordinance goes into effect on April 1, 2021. Until that point, all special vehicles are prohibited on City roads.
- Beginning March 8, residents can begin applying for permits. Applications and cost of permits will be posted here once available.
- Effective April 1, 2021, mini trucks, UTVs, and Class II ATVs will be allowed on City streets with an operator permit. Class I ATVs will be allowed on City streets for access purposes only with an operator permit (Point A outside City limits to a residence within City limits or a residence within City limits to Point B outside City limits). Please view the full ordinance for details.
- Special Vehicles used for snow plowing purposes are exempt from the permitting requirements.
- A permit application must be filled out at City Hall for each operator of a UTV.
- The permit sticker should be placed in the lower right hand corner of the license plate.
- All operators must be 18 years of age or older.
- The mini truck, UTV, or ATV has current proof of insurance available to immediately provide to law enforcement if stopped.
- The ordinance expires on December 31, 2022. Prior to this date, the City Council will review the ordinance to ensure it is working the way originally intended and make any necessary changes.
- Those found in violation of the ordinance will be ticketed.