Presidential Nomination Primary
In 2016, legislation was passed establishing a presidential nomination primary in Minnesota. This will be Minnesota's first presidential primary since 1992. The 2020 Presidential Nomination Primary is set to take place on March 3, 2020 from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at your designated polling location.
What you need to know:
- Waconia residents will be able to vote absentee at City Hall beginning on January 17 for the Presidential Nomination Primary.
- When you vote, you must choose which major party's ballot you want.
- Which party you choose will not be public information, but it will be available to each major party chair.
What's on the ballot?
- By law, only major parties can participate in the primary. There are four major political parties in Minnesota, but only two are electing to participate in the Presidential Nomination Primary. These are the Republican Party and the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party.
- The chair of each major party will submit a list of candidates for the party's ballot no later than December 31, 2019.
- Those candidates will appear on the ballot even if they drop out of the presidential race before March 3.
- Each party decides if they want to include a write-in choice or an option to vote for "uncommitted."
What happens after the primary?
- Party delegates will go to a national convention where a final candidate will be nominated.
- Parties must use the presidential primary results to choose the delegates.
- Each party handles delegate elections according tho their party rules.
Voting in the Presidential Nomination Primary:
- The Presidential Nomination Primary will take place on March 3, 2020 at your designated polling location (Waconia Ice Arena or Trinity Lutheran Church). The polls open at 7:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m.
- Waconia residents who wish to absentee vote can do so the following dates and times:
- Monday - Friday, January 17 through March 2: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Monday, February 3, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 10, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday February 22, 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 24: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, February 29: 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 2: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- There will be no absentee voting available on Monday, January 20 and Monday, February 17.
If you have questions, please call City Hall at 952-442-2184.