What is Absentee Voting?Eligible voters can vote early by using an absentee ballot, instead of voting in person at the polling place on Election Day. Voters can vote by absentee either in person or via mail.
To be eligible to vote in Minnesota, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old on Election Day
- Be a Citizen of the United States
- Have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
- Have any felony conviction record discharged, expired, or completed
- Not be under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
- Not have been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
How Do I Vote Absentee? Absentee ballots are available 46 days before each regularly scheduled election. We encourage Waconia residents to vote absentee to help reduce the number of lines on election day.
Similar to 2018, the City of Waconia have multiple choices for absentee voting:
1. Vote by mail, https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/other-ways-to-vote/vote-early-by-mail/
2. Vote at City Hall, 201 South Vine Street (Waconia Residents Only)
3. Go to the Taxpayer Services Department at Carver County Government Center, 600 E. 4th Street, Chaska, (ALL Carver County Residents)
If you plan on voting absentee, you'll need to fill out an absentee voting application. This can be downloaded here or also done at City Hall.
When Can I Vote Absentee?
For the August Primary Election, absentee voting is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday (closed on July 4) starting June 26 and going through August 10. We will also be open on Saturday, August 8 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and until 5:00 p.m. on August 10.
For the General Election, absentee voting is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday starting September 18 and going through November 2. We will also be open on Saturday, October 31 from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and until 5:00 p.m. on November 2.