Waconia Heritage Association

Rich in history, Waconia’s roots are planted deep in the lake and land we call home!

Settlers


The first inhabitants of the Waconia area came from New Orleans, up the Mississippi River, over the Minnesota River to Carver’s Landing at Carver, Minnesota. From there, they followed Carver’s Creek to Burandt’s lake, and found their way through heavily wooded area to what is now Waconia.

The actual settlement of the area where Waconia is now located began as soon as the Indian title to the land was extinguished and a government survey made. Ludwig Sutheimer and Michael Scheidnagel are claimed to have been the first permanent settlers. 

In 1857, a group of German settlers arrived to the fertile lands of Waconia Township and many remained permanently. Additional nationalities settling in the area were Bohemians, Swedes, and Swiss. 
CivicSend Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow

First Church


The first church in Waconia was St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church which was organized in 1857 by Rev. Father Bruno Riss. The first services were held in private homes but in 1858 a frame church was built at a cost of $600. 

Paradise Island


Paradise Island, later changed to Coney Island in 1884 by Lambert Naegele , was considered the paradise of the northwest. Development on the island started after Naegele’s purchase with the first full season at the resort in 1885. This was a successful season and sparked further growth on the island. 

After the ice melted on the lake, construction of another resort started along with a boarding house, several cottages, and a boathouse. Two large steamships traveled back and forth to the island. Many of the residents of Minneapolis and St. Paul were frequent visitors to the resorts.