Residential & Commercial Accounts
Who is responsible for paying the utility bill?
The property owner is responsible for making sure payment is made to The City of Waconia. No account will be established in the name of tenant or non-owner, however the property owner can ask the city to send a copy of the bill to a tenant or another party at an additional cost.
Late payment and penalties
- Late Charge: 10% on unpaid balances after the due date
- Returned Check Charge: You will be charged $30.00 for any check or automatic bank draft payment your bank returns to us.
- Delinquent Notice Door Hanger: A $40 fee will be charged if a Door Hanger is delivered for accounts that are over 90 days in arrears.
- Shut-off for Non-Payment: A fee of $100 will be charged if water service is terminated due to non-payment.
Leaving or returning to town for winter?
If you are leaving town for the winter, let us know. It will prevent further action when we notice that there is no water used at your property. We can also make sure you will still receive your bills accordingly by updating your mailing address.
Things that you can do to prevent water problems while you are away:
- Do not let the house freeze. Leave the heat on, but it is ok to turn it down. Make sure heat can circulate throughout the home.
- Turn off the water at the meter.
- Drain pipes of water & flush toilet to clear water from bowl
- Shut off water to appliances
Utility Information for Residential Accounts
For residential accounts, the water charge is based on actual water usage each month. The sewer charge is based on the actual water usage during November-April (winter months). In the remaining months of the year, May-October (summer months), the sewer charge is based on the average usage of the preceding winter months. The City of Waconia presumes that any additional water used (above your winter sewer average) is used for external usage and therefore does not affect sewer flow.
Residential irrigation meters may be purchased to separate irrigation from internal usage and avoid sewer overrides in the summer months. For further information regarding this, please contact Public Utilities at 952-442-2615.
Commercial, Industrial, & Institutional Accounts
Commercial, industrial, and institutional water and sewer charges are based on the actual water usage each month. Irrigation water used at these properties are metered and billed separate from internal usage. If a business owner does not opt to have a separate irrigation meter, all usage is charged water and sewer rates throughout the year.
Water revenues are used to fund water production, water treatment, water storage facilities, and maintain the city's infrastructure. Sewer revenues are used to fund wastewater treatment through the Metropolitan Council Environmental Services facilities and to maintain local infrastructure and lift stations.