Elections & Voting

Polling Locations

Local, state, and national elections are held in even-numbered years. On election day, all polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The City of Waconia is divided into 2 wards, please view the polling places listed below. If you are unsure of the ward in which you reside, please consult the City of Waconia Ward Boundary Map or visit the Secretary of State’s website.


  • Waconia Ward I
    Waconia Ice Arena
    1250 Oak Ave.
  • Waconia Ward II
    Trinity Lutheran School Gymnasium
    601 E. 2nd St.
If you have questions about your polling location, please email the Office of the City Administrator or call 952-442-2184.


Residents of the City of Waconia reside within the following government jurisdictions:
  • Carver County Commissioner District 4
  • Independent School District 110
  • Judicial District 1
  • Minnesota House District 47A
  • Minnesota Senate District 47
  • U.S. Congressional District 6

Absentee Voting

If you will be unable to cast a vote at your polling location on the Primary or General Election day you can submit an absentee ballot. To obtain an absentee ballot by mail or to cast an absentee ballot in person please contact Carver County Taxpayers Services Department at 952-361-1910.

Voter Eligibility

To vote in any election in Minnesota, you must be:
  • A citizen of the United States
  • A resident of Minnesota for at least 20 days
  • At least 18 years of age on election day
  • Properly registered
You may not vote if you are:
  • A convicted felon without your civil rights
  • Not legally competent
  • Under guardianship of the person where you have not retained the right to vote

Voter Registration

Pre-registration, for those who are not currently registered, closes 21 days prior to any election. You can pre-register by completing a voter registration card at:
Registration is permanent, provided you vote at least once every 4 years and you do not move or change your name.

Registering at the Polls

Eligible voters may register at the polls on Election Day with one of the following authorized documents:
  • "Notice of Late Registration" postcard
  • A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, identification card, or receipt for one showing your current address
  • Current Student Fee Statement
  • If the Minnesota license, Tribal ID, or MN State ID has a former address, you will need to bring a recent utility bill* to use with your license
  • Oath of a registered voter in the same ward ("vouching")
  • Prior registration listed on roster at former address within the same ward
  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
  • U.S. military photo ID card with utility bill*
  • U.S. passport with utility bill*
*The utility bill must have your name, current address, and be due within 30 days of the election. Utility bills may be for electric, gas, water, sewer, solid waste, telephone, cable TV, internet service, rent or mortgage payments, banking, or credit card.