Animal ControlAny resident having a problem with stray dogs should contact the Carver County Community Service Officer at 952-361-1231.
Pet owners can save themselves impoundment and room and board charges, keep their pets safe, and save taxpayers the costs of chasing down strays by following the animal control ordinance:
- Dogs must be leashed whenever they are off the owner’s property. This includes city parks. Dogs are prohibited in city Square Park.
- Owners must clean up any feces left behind by their pets on all public or private property.
- In consideration of neighbors and the general public, no dog may habitually bark or otherwise create a disturbance.
- Pets must wear their identification tags affixed to their collars. The city strongly recommends that pet owners microchip their animals in order to aid in identification and safe return in the even they become lost.
Animal Impound Information
The City’s animal impound location is Crossroads Animal Shelter.
Crossroads Animal Shelter:
2800 10th St. SE
Buffalo, MN 55313
Individuals should call the City of Waconia or Crossroads Animal Shelter to verify their dog is on site. Fees are the responsibility of the dog owner and must be paid at the time of pick-up. The costs to pick up the dog include:
- Dogs Running at Large - $35.00
- Impoundment - Actual Costs
- $10 one-time service fee for impoundment
- $10 per day boarding fee, per dog
- Miscellaneous Kennel Fees (shots, medical treatments, etc) - actual costs
During business hours, the "Dogs Running at Large" fee must be paid at Waconia City Hall prior to release of the animal from Crossroads Animal Shelter. After business hours, animals may be arranged to be picked up at Crossroads Animal Shelter at (763) 684-1234. Dogs are held for five business days before being adopted out.